DESIGN WORKSHOP WITH PARSONS FACULTY FIONA RABY AND TONY DUNNE.
- Matthew Battles & Jeffrey Schnapp, “Scenarios” In The Library Beyond the Book (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2014): 55-119.
- “Precedents for Experimentation: Talking Libraries with Shannon Mattern and Nate Hill,” Urban Omnibus (July 16, 2014) + review the Architectural League’s Re-Envisioning Branch Libraries design study.
- Check out the work of the Harvard Library Innovation Lab, Harvard’s Library Test Kitchen, and LTK alum Jeff Goldenson’s Rewrite the Library project at Olin College.
- Review (the late, great) NYPL Labs’ work and Tim Carmody’s Slate article, “How the New York Public Library is Reinventing Itself” (October 29, 2015), about it.
- Check out the “Dynamic Order” Sitterwerk Art Library, which makes use of RFID technology, in St. Gallen, Switzerland [+ video], and see AstromZimmer’s dynamic library workbenches [+ video].
- See Rosten Woo’s work on Haystacks (and skim through his epic “Can I help you find something?” project blog).
- Good, Form & Spectacle, “What’s In the Library?” + “New Work: Wellcome Library Alpha.”
- Optional: Mitchell Whitelaw, “Generous Interfaces for Digital Cultural Collections,” Digital Humanities Quarterly 9:1 (2015).
Aarhus Urban Mediaspace, “The Library of the Future”; “The Dynamic Library: Panel Discussion at Swiss Institute,” Swiss Consulate New York (March 21, 2016); Leslie Johnson, “Digital Collections as Big Data,” Presentation @ Digital Preservation Conference, 2012; Elissa Lee’s work with the UTS Library; Kalev Leetaru, “Reimagining Libraries in the Digital Era: Lessons from Data Mining the Internet Archive,” Forbes (March 19, 2016); Arian Roth and Marina Schütz, Eds., The Dynamic Library: Organizing Knowledge at the Sitterwerk – Precedents and Possibilities (Chicago: Soberscove Press, 2015); Bess Sadler + Chris Bourg, “Feminism and the Future of Library Discovery,” code 4 lib (April 15, 2015); Mitchell Whitelaw’s work.