GUEST: Diana Kamin, Ph.D. Candidate, Media, Culture & Communication @ NYU
- John Tagg, “The Archiving Machine; or, The Camera and the Filing Cabinet,” Grey Room 47 (Spring 2012): 24-37.
- Douglas Crimp, “The Museum’s Old, The Library’s New Subject” In On the Museum’s Ruins (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1993): 66-83.
- Anna Sophie Springer, “Original Sun Pictures: Institutionalization” In Fantasies of the Library, eds. Anna-Sophie Springer & Etienne Turpin (Berlin: K. Verlag, 2014): 119-31 [odd pages only – although the whole book is lovely, and I highly recommend skimming through!]
- Art Spigelman, “Words, Worth a Thousand,” The New Yorker (February 20, 1995).
- Doireann Wallace, “Words as Keys to the Image Bank” In Revisualizing Visual Culture, eds. Chris Bailey & Hazel Gardiner (Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2010): 83-96.
- Nina Lager Vestberg, “Ordering, Searching, Finding,” Journal of Visual Culture 12:3 (2013): 472-89.
- Allison Meier, “Four Million Images from the World’s Endangered Archives,” Hyperallergic (February 23, 2015) [see also the various preservation projects listed in Maja Kominko, Ed., From Dust to Digital: Ten Years of the Endangered Archives Programme (Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers, 2015)].
Costanza Caraffa, “From ‘Photo Libraries’ to ‘Photo Archives’. On the Epistemological Potential of Art-Historical Collections” In Photo Archives and the Photographic Memory of Art History, ed. Costanza Caraffa (Berlin: Deutscher Kunstverlag, 2011): 11-44; Paul Conway & Ricardo Punzalan, “Fields of Vision: Toward a New Theory of Visual Literacy for Digitized Archival Photographs,” Archivaria 71 (Spring 2011): 63-97; Joan Schwartz, “Negotiating the Visual Turn: New Perspectives on Images and Archives,” American Archivist 67 (Spring/Summer 2004) (and other works by Schwartz); Sara Shatford, “Analyzing the Subject of a Picture: A Theoretical Approach,” Cataloguing & Classification Quarterly 6:3 (1986): 39-62; Allan Sekula, “The Body and the Archive” October 39 (Winter 1986): 3-64.
IMAGE: Malraux, Museum without Walls