Classic Texts + Overviews
- Michael Bloor and Fiona Wood, “Ethnography,” in Keywords in Qualitative Methods: A Vocabulary of Research Concepts (Sage, 2006): 69-75.
- Clifford Geertz, “Thick Description: Toward an Interpretive Theory of Culture,” in The Interpretation of Cultures (Basic Books, 1973): 3-30.
- James Clifford, “Introduction: Partial Truths,” in James Clifford and George E. Marcus, eds., Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography (University of California Press, 1986): 1-26.
- Bronislaw Malinowski, “Introduction: The Subject, Method, and Scope of This Inquiry” Argonauts of the Western Pacific (Routledge  2002): 1-20.
- Mary Louise Pratt, “Fieldwork in Common Places,” in in James Clifford and George E. Marcus, eds., Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography (University of California Press, 1986): 27-50.
- George E. Marcus, “Ethnography in/of the World System: The Emergence of Multi-Sited Ethnography,” Annual Review of Anthropology 24 (1995): 95-117.
- George E. Marcus and Judith Okely, “How Short Can Fieldwork Be?” Social Anthropology 15: 3 (2007): 353-67.
- Bonnie S. Brennen, “Ethnography and Participant Observation” in Qualitative Research Methods for Media Studies (Routledge, 2013): 159-91.
- See also the syllabi for these ethnographic methods courses at Harvard and MIT.
- Helsinki Design Lab, Ethnography Field Guide v1.0 (2011).
- Gabriella Coleman, “Ethnographic Approaches to Digital Media,” Annual Review of Anthropology (2010): 487-505.
- Alberto Corsín Jiménez, “Ethnography: A Prototype,” Journal of Anthropology 82:5 (2017).
- Adolfo Estalella, Andrea Gaspar and Tomás Sánchez-Criado, “Experimental Collaborations: Ethnography Beyond Participant Observation.”
- R. Tyson Smith, “Ethnography,” Give Methods a Chance (March 31, 2016 <audio>.
- C. J. Pascoe, “Ethnographic Methods,” Give Methods a Chance (January 31, 2016) <audio>.
- R. Stuart Geiger and David Ribes, “Trace Ethnography: Following Coordination Through Documentary Practices,” Proceedings of Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science (2011).
Ethnography Matters [on ethnography in the digital world].
- Shannon Mattern, “Ethnography” [archived material]
Image: Mary Matson