4-5pm: Skype with Dave Parisi
- David Parisi, Archaeologies of Touch: Interfacing with Haptics from Electricity to Computing (University of Minnesota Press, 2017): Introduction, 1-40; Chapter 3, 151-212; and Chapter 4, 213-264 [we’ll have provided you with a copy of the book].
- By 11:59pm on Monday, March 4, please post to this Google Doc a question you’d like to ask our guest speaker.
- Sandy Isenstadt, “At the Flip of a Switch,” Places Journal (September 2018).
- Mathias Fuchs, Moisés Mañas, and Georg Russegger, “Ludic Interfaces,” in Exploring Videogames: Culture, Design and Identity, eds., Nick Webber and Daniel Riha (Interdisciplinary-Net Press): 31-40.
- Matthew Fulkerson, The First Sense: A Philosophical Study of Human Touch (MIT Press, 2013).
- Gerard Goggin, “Disability and Haptic Mobile Media,” New Media & Society 19:10 (2017): 1563-80.
- Kim Knight, “Wearable Interfaces, Networked Bodies, and Feminist Interfaces,” MLA Commons (2018).
- Brian Merchant, The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone (Little, Brown, 2017).
- Stephen Monteiro, The Fabric of Interface: Mobile Media, Design, and Gender (MIT Press, 2017).
- David Parisi, “Games Interfaces as Bodily Techniques,” Handbook of Research on Effective Electronic Gaming in Education, ed. Richard Ferdig (IGI Global): 111-126.
- David Parisi, Mark Paterson, and Jason Edward Arches, eds., “Haptic Media” Special Issue, New Media & Society 19:10 (October 2017).
- Rachel Plotnick, “At the Interface: The Case of the Electric Push Button, 1880-1923,” Technology and Culture 53:4 (October 2012): 815-45.
- Consider also the history of volvelles and pop-up books and other haptic media (as well as parallel contemporary practices, like Kelli Anderson’s).