We will create four groups to map four different locations in and around The New School’s University Center.
The four locations are:
- Cafeteria on the 5th floor
- Library on the 6th floor
- CVS on street-level
- Smokers section outside University Center entrance
You will spend five minutes in each section with your group – please use timers on your phones to keep track. The goal of this exercise is to quickly immerse yourself in the locations you will be stationed in, so make you don’t stay in just one place – think of this as a walking tour within specific boundaries.
In each location, please do the following:
- Sketch a rough outline of the location (it’s not important to be neat!)
- On the outline, identify what sounds, smells and textures you encounter. You can identify these things with words, quick drawings, symbols, etc.
- Create an intensity scale to identify certain sounds, smells and textures which are particularly weak and strong in the location you are stationed at
After 5 minutes, switch to your next location. After you have visited all four locations, return to the classroom. We will compare our experiences, talk about what senses were the weakest and the most intense, and look at trends between all of the sketches.
Here is how each group will progress through the exercise:
Cafeteria > Library > Smokers > CVS
CVS > Smokers > Library > Cafeteria
Library > Cafeteria > CVS > Smokers
Smokers > CVS > Cafeteria > Library