All readings are made available as pdfs on our course website. All copyrighted material is behind a firewall; you’ll be prompted to enter a username (student) and password (seecritfilez). Not so secret, eh?
That said, you’re invited to purchase copies of the following, since we’ll be using significant portions of these resources:
- John Krygier and Denis Wood, Making Maps: A Visual Guide to Map Design for GIS, 2nd (New York: Guilford Press, 2011).
- Shannon Mattern, Deep Mapping the Media City (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2015).
- John Pickles, A History of Spaces: Cartographic Reason, Mapping and the Geo-Coded World (New York: Routledge, 2004).
The following web resources are worth consulting regularly, too:
- The Atlantic’s CityLab posts on maps
- Axis Maps Blog
- Cartogrammar (Andy Woodruff)
- Fuck Yeah Cartography!
- Making Maps: DIY Cartography (John Krygier + Denis Wood)
- Maps Mania
- Dee Morris & Stephen Voyce’s series of posts on Jacket2
- Penn State’s online Cartography and Visualization course
- David Rumsey Map Collection
- Stamen Design
- Strange Maps
- Wired Map Lab
- My own mapping links