Map Critiques: Taeyeon, Julia
- Giuliana Bruno, “Art of Mapping” In An Atlas of Emotions: Journeys in Art, Architecture, and Film (New York: Verso, 2002): 205-245 – focus on 210-15, 232-5.
- Mei-Po Kwan, “Affecting Geospatial Technologies: Toward a Feminist Politics of Emotion,” The Professional Geographer 59:1 (2007): 22-34.
- Christian Nold, biomapping [leaflet]
- Gascia Ouzounian, “Acoustic Mapping: Notes from the Interface” in Matthew Gandy & BJ Nilsen, Eds., The Acoustic City (Berlin: Jovis, 2014): 164-73.
- Danielle Quercia, Luca Maria Aiello, and Rossano Schifanella, “Mapping Towards a Good City Life,” Journal of Urban Design and Mental Health 3:3 (2017) [connecting affect to cognitive mapping].
Lab: Sensory Mapping – more info TBA
Stuart C. Aitken & James Craine, “Affective Geovisualizations,” Directions Magazine (2006) [on film and video games as conduits for affect].
Isobel Anderson, “Soundmapping Beyond the Grid: Alternative Cartographies of Sound,” Journal of Sonic Studies 11 (August 2015).
Sébastien Caquard & D.R. Fraser Taylor, “What Is Cinematic Cartography?” The Cartographic Journal 46:1 (2009): 5-8.
Tom Conley, Cartographic Cinema (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2007).
Catherine D’Ignazio and Lauren F. Klein, “Feminist Data Visualization,” IEEE Vis (2016).
Jonathan Flatley, “Affective Mapping” In Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2008): 76-84.
Victoria Henshaw, Urban Smellscapes: Understanding and Designing City Smell Environments (New York: Routledge, 2014).
Shannon Mattern, “Infrastructural Tourism,” Places (July 2013).
Kate McLean, “Emotion, Location and the Senses: A Virtual Dérive Smell Map of Paris,” Out of Control, Proceedings of the International Design and Emotion Conference, London, 2012.
OWjL Summer Program, “Sensory Mapping,” Mapping Weird Stuff (2009).
Eric Rodenbeck, “Introducing the Atlas of Emotions, Our New Project with the Dalai Lama and Paul & Eve Ekman,” Medium (April 26, 2016) + Nicolette Hayes’ post + Paul Ekman’s Atlas of Emotions
“The Trouble With Sound Maps,” London Sound Survey (May 25, 2015).
Jacqueline Waldock, “Soundmapping: Critiques and Reflections on This New Publicly Engaging Medium,” Journal of Sonic Studies 1:1 (October 2011).
WOMEN IN CARTOGRAPHY:
Laura Bliss, “The Hidden Histories of Maps Made by Women: Early North America,” The Atlantic City Lab (March 21, 2016) [multi-part series].
Christine E. Dando, Women and Cartography in the Progressive Era (Routledge, 2018).
Judith Tyner, “Mapping Women: Scholarship on Women in the History of Cartography,” Terrae Incognitae 48:1 (April 2016): 7-14.