- Recall Vertesi from last week in reading Jody Rosen, “The Knowledge, London’s Legendary Taxi-Driver Test, Puts Up a Fight in the Age of GPS,” New York Times Magazine (November 10, 2014).
- Jenny Gustafsson, “Mapping, Beirut-Style: How to Navigate a City Without Using Any Street Names,” The Guardian (June 2, 2015).
- Lily Bui On, “Dragons, Memory & Navigating the Globe Using Only Your Wits,” Nautilus (October 13, 2014) [a preface to our indigenous mapping discussion in three weeks].
- Check out the Hand Drawn Map Association.
- Tim Wallace, “Kevin Lynch & The Imageable Boston,” Bostonography (December 15, 2010) [and follow Wallace’s link to the “Perceptual Forms of the City” material in the MIT Archives].
- Kevin Lynch, “The Uses of Method” in The Image of the City (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1960): 140-159 [consider also other sensory means of comprehending space].
- Perfect City Working Group, “What Do You Avoid? Where Do You Belong?” Urban Omnibus (July 5, 2017).
Lab: practicing cognitive mapping around campus
Lily Bui On, “The Art and Science of Polynesian Wayfinding,” PRX [radio]
Michel de Certeau, “Spatial Practices” In The Practice of Everyday Life (Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1984): 100-134.
Fredric Jameson, Postmodernism, or The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism (New York: Verso, 1991): 49-54, 413-18.
Kevin Lynch, “The City Image and Its Elements” In The Image of the City (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1960): 46-90.
Linda Poon, “Maps Made ‘From the Mind,’ Not from GPS,” CityLab (November 10, 2015).
Kim Tingley, “The Secrets of the Wave Pilots,” New York Times Magazine (March 17, 2016).
Alberto Toscano & Jeff Kinkle, Cartographies of the Absolute (Washington, D.C.: Zero Books, 2015) [with companion website].
Denis Wood, Everything Sings: Maps for a Narrative Atlas (Los Angeles: Siglio, 2010).
YOUR GROUPS’ COGNITIVE MAPS
Group 1: Three-Channel Audio Tour of 66 5th Ave Vertical Circulation
Group 2: 2 W 13th St & 66 5th Ave
Group 3: New School Buildings – Individual Map 1
Group 3: New School Buildings – Individual Map 2
Group 3: New School Buildings – Individual Map 3
Group 3: New School Buildings – Combined map of maps 1-3
Group 4: New School Buildings
Group 5: New School Buildings