Map Critique: Simone, Minsoo, Alice, Maha
Guest: Jer Thorp
- Daniel Rosenberg, “Against Infographics,” Art Journal OPEN (March 11, 2016) [on aesthetics & epistemology].
- Joe Hamilton, Indirect Flights (2015).
- Catherine D’Ignazio, “Art and Cartography” in The Encyclopedia of Human Geography (New York: Elsevier, 2009): 190-206 – or (take your pick!) – Denis Wood, “Map Art: Stripping the Mast from the Map” in Rethinking the Power of Maps (New York: Guilford Press, 2010): 189-230.
- Bellerby & Co Globemakers
- Check out Jer’s portfolio, plus the work at his old firm, the Office for Creative Research
Denis E. Cosgrove, “Maps, Mapping, Modernity: Art and Cartography in the Twentieth Century,” Imago Mundi 57 (2005): 35-54; Katherine A. Harmon, The Map as Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography (New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2009); Karen O’Rourke, Walking and Mapping: Artists as Cartographers (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2013); Denis Wood, “Map Art” Cartographic Perspectives 53 (Winter 2006): 5-14; David Woodward, Art and Cartography: Six Historical Essays (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987). Many of the books I placed on reserve for our class are also about map-based art!