Lab: Kate + Jack share their work.
Activity: Developing metadata schemes for next week’s cataloguing exercise: what criteria are most salient in distinguishing between various forms of “intelligence”?
- Shane Legg and Marcus Hutter, “Universal Intelligence: A Definition of Machine Intelligence,” Minds & Machines 17:4 (2007): 391-444 [feel free to skim the highly technical sections (e.g., pp. 408-24); our concerns are broad principles and general methods of operationalization].
- Mark Dery and Steven Pinker, “Smart Bombs: Mark Dery, Steven Pinker on the Nature-Nurture Wars and the Politics of IQ,” BoingBoing (August 14, 2009).
- Raffi Khatchadourian, “The Doomsday Invention,” New Yorker (November 23, 2015).
- Don Tapscott, “How Blockchains Could Change the World,” McKinsey & Company High Tech (May 2016).
- Elvia Wilk with Jenna Sutela, “Slime Intelligence,” Rhizome (August 16, 2016).
- Murray Shanahan, “Consciousness Exotica,” Aeon (October 19, 2016).
- Shannon Mattern, “Methodolatry and the Art of Urban Measure,” Places Journal (November 2013).
- “An Ethereal Future,” Reddit (2014) [on blockchain futures].
- Mariusz Flasinski, “Theories of Intelligence in Philosophy and Psychology” in Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (Springer, 2011): 213-23.
- Michelle G., “Picture Yourself as a Stereotypical Male,” MIT Admissions (September 5, 2015) [on the gender and racial biases of testing].
- Gary Groth-Marnat, Handbook of Psychological Assessment, 5th Ed. (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2009).
- Donna Haraway, “Situated Knowledges: The Science Question in Feminism and the Privilege of Partial Perspective,” Feminist Studies 14:3 (Autumn 1988): 575-99.
- Institute for the Future, “Understand the Blockchain in Two Minutes”
- Olivia Judson, “What the Octopus Knows,” The Atlantic (January/February 2017) [Peter Godfrey-Smith @ NYPL February 21].
- Eduardo Kohn, How Forests Think: Toward an Anthropology Beyond the Human (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2013).
- Perluigi Serraino, The Creative Architect: Inside the Great Midcentury Personality Study (New York: Monacelli Press, 2016).
- Tom Stonier, Beyond Information: The Natural History of Intelligence (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1992).
- “Test Bias,” The Glossary of Education Reform (May 22, 2015).
- “Testing, Testing,” things magazine (September 28, 2012).
- Anna Tsing, The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2015).
Photo : Part of the Svalbard Architectural Expedition, 2013. MAP Architects