The Protected: Infrastructural Tourism by Shannon Mattern, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
MY FALL 2013 CLASSES
- Dec 6, ’13 Spaces for Critical Action in Urban Software Art
- Dec 4, ’13 My Spring 2014 “Digital Archives + Institutional Memory” Studio
- Dec 1, ’13 Tanya Toft’s New “Urban Media Aesthetics” Platform – w/ Events This Tues + Wed
- Nov 29, ’13 Aesthetic Bounty — or, Binging on Artstuffs
- Nov 22, ’13 Recover Lost File: I Wrote About Ben Fino-Radin and Lori Emerson on Preserving Obsolete Media for Nautilus Magazine
- It's Nice That : Graphic Design: Anagrama give Checklist the Wes Anderson treatmentChecklist are a company that specialise in custom event planning for milestone occasions; think birthdays, bar mitzvahs and big business blow-outs. Everything they do is bespoke and so, naturally, they needed an identity to reflect that. Along came Anagrama with a branding proposal that would look more than comfortable on the mahogany writing tables of a Wes […]
- Implications for Digital Collections Given Historian’s Research Practices | Trevor OwensThe Google search box is the first place historians go when they start their research, it plays a key role in their discovery process. This is particularly true for idiosyncratic terms, phrases and people’s names which often turn up results from Google books. So, the next time someone tells you that they want to make a “gateway” a “portal” or a “registry” of […]
- Abroad at Home Thanks to Google - WSJ.comEven in a city brimming with spectacular antiquities, the Ipogeo di Via Dino Compagni would rate as a must on many tourists' itineraries. Unfortunately, only five of Rome's about 60 complexes of catacombs are open to the public, and this is not one of them... Maps, you can peruse the frescoes under optimal lighting, undisturbed by damp, cold or cla […]
- Tech Giants Like Apple and Amazon Building Monuments to Digital Domination - SPIEGEL ONLINEA few weeks before his death, Steve Jobs commissioned one last marvel of ingenuity. He knew that it would be his legacy, a symbol of his work and an expression of creative global supremacy: a new headquarters for Apple, designed by British star architect Sir Norman Foster... Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg, whose vision is to network all of mankind online, has […]
- Origins of Common UI Symbols | Visual.lyThey are road signs for your daily rituals—the instantly recognized symbols and icons you press, click and ogle countless times a day when you interact with your computer. But how much do you know about their origins?
- It's Nice That : Graphic Design: Anagrama give Checklist the Wes Anderson treatment