IMAGINARIES + INTERFACES
(Sorry there’s so much of me! I just happen to have collected lots of relevant examples in these essays.)
- Shannon Mattern, “Mission Control: A History of the Urban Dashboard,” Places Journal (March 2015).
- Carlo Ratti and Daniele Belleri, “Sense and the City: Towards a New Digital Urbanism,” urbanNext (n.d.).
KITS + GUIDES
- Christine Gaspar, “Images of the City: The Work of the Center for Urban Pedagogy” and Kadambari Baxi and Irene Cheng, “Citizenship by Design” in Miodrag Mitrasinovic, ed., Concurrent Urbanities: Designing Infrastructures of Inclusion (NY: Routledge, 2016): 76-86, 114-23.
- Shannon Mattern, “Cloud and Field,” Places Journal (August 2016).
- Optional (Worth a skim?): Shannon Mattern, “Infrastructural Tourism,” Places Journal (July 2013).
- Post a reading response?
Lab: In today’s class, we’ll split into small groups to study and critique a few projects (you needn’t review the following materials before class):
Imaginaries + Interfaces
- Adam Rothstein, “The Cities Science Fiction Built,” Motherboard (April 20, 2015) + consider other sci-fi films or smart-city promotional videos.
- Gillian Rose, “Top Ten Tips for Making a Smart City Promotional Video,” Visual/ Method/Culture (September 19, 2016).
- Jennifer Gabrys, “Smart Cities as Sustainable Cities: A Visual Essay,” Society & Space (2014).
- UK Government Office for Science, “Future Cities: A Visual History of the Future” (2014).
- Shannon Mattern, “Interfacing Urban Intelligence,” Places Journal (April 2014).
- Consider some of the interfaces + dashboards referenced in the readings. And here’s a new-ish one from Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo.
Gadgets, Kits + Guides
- Sara Dean and Beth Ferguson, Climate Kit + more documentation @ VUCA + Zero.
- Natalie Jeremijenko et al., Environmental Health Clinic + Lab + Public Lab’s Tools + Methods.
- Parsons & Charlesworth, New Survivalism Kits.
- Check out the work of the Extrapolation Factory.
- Kevin Gaunt, “Bots – Collaborative AI for the Smart Home,” Core 77 (2016) + video.
- Julian Bleecker and Barry Brown, InterIKEA Systems (2015) [more from NearFutureLab].
- Consider some of the projects referenced in the readings, too.
- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction (New York: Oxford University Press, 1977).
- Carl Abbott, Imagining Urban Futures: Cities in Science Fiction and What We Might Learn from Them (Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2016).
- Martijn de Waal, The City as Interface: How New Media Are Changing the City (nai010, 2014).
- Carla Leitão and Ed Keller, “Drive,” Volume 49: Learning Network (November 2016).
- Shannon Mattern, “Methodolatry and the Art of Urban Measure,” Places Journal (November 2013).